For Teaching Assistants

Graduate Teaching Assistants play an important role here at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.  They assist department chairpersons, faculty members, and other professional staff by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, including teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers.

Dr. Judith Krauss coordinates efforts to support graduate teaching assistants through the Center for Graduate Life, including Graduate Teaching Assistant training which is offered at the start of the Fall and Spring semesters. In addition to GTA training, she teaches the courses Teaching at the College or University Level (GRAD 6001/8001) and Teaching at American Colleges and Universities:  Perspectives for International Students (GRAD 6011/8011).  She also offers workshops on a variety of teaching-related issues each semester.

Graduate Teaching Fellows

Elizabeth Ballard - Lizzy is a master's student in Communication Studies who graduated from Elon University with a degree in Strategic Communication. Her research focus at UNCC is interpersonal health communication. In addition to being a teaching and research assistant for the department, she enjoys outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, jet skiing, and walking her two year old shepherd mix, Koda.

Eric Kane - Eric is a doctoral student in Biological Sciences.  Eric's strengths as a researcher have led him to seek clear and compelling ways not only to educate students in his discipline but to help them see the relevance of it in their daily lives.

Kathleen Magee - Katie is a master's student in Earth Sciences at UNCC with a research focus on severe weather. She previously completed her B.S. in Meteorology at NC State, and was very excited to move from Raleigh to the Queen City. Outside of school, she can be found exploring the city's network of greenways, playing the piano, and occasionally skydiving.

Graduate students interested in obtaining a graduate research or teaching assistantship should contact their academic department directly. For more information about administrative assistantship opportunities, students should refer to the Graduate School’s Funding web pages.