Graduate Life Fellow Application and Information
The Graduate Life Fellow 2019-2020 Application is Now Closed -- Please Consider Applying Next Year!
The position of a Graduate Life Fellow (GLF) is the Graduate School’s way of recognizing and rewarding students who demonstrate commitment to the graduate community at UNC Charlotte. The goal of the GLF program is to enhance the graduate community through leadership, peer mentoring and the coordination of activities that foster diverse social and academic engagement.
Through the Graduate School’s Center for Graduate Life (CGL), GLFs have the opportunity to build community through active participation in the CGL events such as Fall and Spring New Graduate Student Orientations and/or Open House events. In addition, GLFs are given the opportunity to work together as a team (or small teams) to coordinate events or initiatives designed to connect graduate students to one another and to valuable campus resources.
Not only do GLFs use their role to strengthen graduate community, they are also strategically positioned to learn, and communicate, the needs of our graduate student population back to the CGL. Above all else, GLFs regularly attend and promote the CGL’s professional development and wellness workshops in an effort to support graduate student success across disciplines. Serving as a GLF will allow you to:
- Build your resume and reference list
- Network with administration, faculty, staff and fellow students
- Improve your communication and leadership skills
- Enhance your own professional development
- Receive a notation for Leadership Competency on your official transcript
- Gain valuable volunteer experience
- Have an impact on the graduate student experience at UNC Charlotte
The award amount for each Graduate Life Fellow is $5,000 for the academic year. The award can accompany a graduate assistantship; both domestic and international graduate students can apply.
Key Dates for Spring, 2019
March 14 – GLF Applications due by 11:59p.m.
March 29 – Group Process Interviews (invitees will attend one of two sessions)
April 3-13 – Interviews with CGL faculty/staff
Week of April 22 – Decisions made and offers extended
May 14 – GLF Orientation and Training
Saturday, August 17 – Fall New Graduate Student Orientation
Monday, January 6, 2020 - Spring New Graduate Student Orientation
- Only full-time graduate students may apply (degree-seeking preferred)
- Must have completed at least one year of graduate-level coursework at UNC Charlotte
- Must have a GPA of at least 3.0 and be in good standing
- Ideal recipients will be engaged, responsible and motivated and will have demonstrated their commitment to service through volunteer activities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are a plus
- GLFs should be eager to interact respectfully with a broad range of graduate students from diverse backgrounds
- Fellows must live in the Charlotte area throughout the academic year of their fellowship
- In an effort to provide this opportunity to other interested graduate students, former Graduate Life Fellows are ineligible to re-apply
The Graduate Life Fellow application has three components: your general application, essay (up to two pages) and a CV/resume. All three items must be submitted online by the published deadline. The essay and resume must be uploaded as a document or PDF. If you require special accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a paper application or additional assistance.
The GLF selection process consists of two parts: 1) selected applicants are invited to participate in one of two Group Process Interviews on one day in the latter part of March. The process interviews are a time for the CGL staff to learn how you interact as part of a team; and, 2) selected candidates are invited for interviews with CGL faculty and staff.
You must submit your GLF Application, your essay and CV/resume by the published deadline. Please email Coren O’Hara, Assistant Director of the Center for Graduate Life, for more information. She may also be contacted at 704-687-7242.